Search This Blog

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Tomato Challenge: Roasted Tomato Goodness as a Side, or on Pasta

We asked you all to send in recipes to aid others in taking advantage of this time of year when tomatoes are plentiful. Here's an easy one from sTyliSH1, a regular reader:

Okay, let me start by saying I love tomatoes! Like really really love them! I used to eat them as apples when I was a child, I say was because I no longer do so in fear of seeds splatting on my clothes. :(
When I have some tomatoes that I don't want to waste or freeze, I actually roast them. Oh my lawd this is good stuff. I cut them in half (leave whole if they're grape tomatoes) add a touch of sea salt, pepper and maybe one packet of splenda (or a teaspoon of regular sugar). If I'm feeling frisky I add a dash of balsamic vinegar and some olive oil.
I bake at 350-450 depending on how eager I am to get to their caramelized goodness and to hear them calling my name from the oven. =)
This has been a staple sidedish or even tossed with pasta, I do the same exact thing to roast all kinds of veggies — not just tomatoes. Oh, and of course if it’s just too hot to do this inside you can do this on the grill in an aluminum tray. Just don’t open the grill lid too often. My New York apartment gets so hot it’s insane, but the tomatoes are so yummy we think it’s worth it.
Thanks!
sTyliSH1

No comments:

Post a Comment